[CQ-Contest] CW speed - send vs. copy

Subject: [CQ-Contest] CW speed - send vs. copy
From: zf2nt@candw.ky (Bruce Sawyer)
Date: Tue Nov 17 21:45:13 1998
Randy Thompson wrote:

> Call the guy at a speed you are comfortable with.  If he is going too fast,
> append QRS to the end of your call.  To a good op, this is a signal to
> exactly match your sending speed. If the guy doesn't slow down, just spin
> the dial.

I'm sorry, but I disagree with this one.  I've caught flak on this issue
before, and I
know ahead of time I'll take flak again for sticking my neck out now,
but this is just the way I see it.  If a guy can't copy me at the speed
I'm sending, then he shouldn't call me.  I don't WANT him to call me if
he can't copy me.  Most of all, I don't want him to call me and
immediately send "QRS".  Even worse is the guy who sits there in my
pile-up and just sends "QRS" over and over again.  The way I see it,
it's the responsibility of the respondor to match the speed of the
initiator.  The corollary, of course, is that we should never answer
CQing stations with a speed set way above theirs.  If we do, the CQing
station has every right to demand "QRS".  But the way I see it, I should
never hear "QRS" if I'm the one sending CQ, and if I do then I'm just
going to ignore it.  (Well...sometimes I'll admit to reacting positively
to the polite "PLS QRS", but never ever to the imperative form!)

This subect seems to come up every year about this time, and there's
always a string of pious posters who proclaim their willingness to help
the newbie and slow down whenever anybody tells them "QRS".  The last
time this happened I decided to do my own little test, and the next
contest that came along I went around calling all the QRQ guys at about
15 wpm, just to see what they would do.  Almost all simply blew me off
when I asked for QRS, but in the spirit of total truthfulness I can
report that both K5ZD and K4OJ passed the test.  They did QRS, just like
they said they would on this reflector, but I think they might have been
the only two who did.

73,
Bruce, ZF2NT