[CQ-Contest] Nostalgia

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Nostalgia
From: pk@ij.net (Paul E. Knupke, Jr.)
Date: Wed Dec 23 13:04:29 1998
>If the ARRL would accept electronic cards, it would be a lot
>easier on people on fixed incomes too.  Take the basic 5BDXCC
>award.  That takes 500 cards.  Figure at least $1.00 for each
>card. Now there are lots of places that take $2.00 to get a card
>back.  Then figure .32 cents for postage, that is anywhere from
>$500 to $1000 dollars just for one award.  If they have both the
>logs from a contest, how much trouble would it be to check them
>to verify the contacts.  73

I can understand teh reluctance to allow electronic QSL cards but the fact
that postage rates keep increasing and thus QSL bureau rates also rise there
needs to be a serious examination of accepting QSL cards by other means.

I would really like to see allowing email and fax QSL cards to be considered
valid for awards.

I rarely originate QSL cards due to the cost involved.  If someone sends me
a card I try to get it out as fast as possible.  SASE means a quicker return
thats for sure.

I know while I was in college I had a very hard time keeping up with cards
sometimes and thus going electronic would save alot of money and time.

I know this topic is sorta marginal for this reflector but as a contester I
don't mind getting cards but since i'm not really into awards I would like
to see an effort placed in making it more economical for us to exchange QSL
cards by allowing something more than mailed cards.

73,
Paul
KR4YL