[CQ-Contest] don't stop at the RTTY!

Subject: [CQ-Contest] don't stop at the RTTY!
From: k7qq@juno.com (Rex J Maner)
Date: Tue Dec 1 04:56:58 1998

On Mon, 30 Nov 1998 08:45:13 -0500 (EST) w9wi <w9wi@bellsouth.net>
writes:

>On Saturday morning, I decided I wasn't going to fight my way into a
>hole at the bottom end of 10 meters - I would just keep going up the
>band until I found a completely clear frequency & work there.  Finally
>did find a frequency that was quiet for about 750Hz either side, and
>ran
>70-80 rates there for about 3 hours.  And that frequency was...
>28.126.  Yes, *126* in the Novice band.  Still, I know there are many
Leftcoast  K7QQ   Quacks
You think you have it bad I was up at 28170 CQing, I've got the 9's to
get by along with the  heavys running 100 W from the Wrong Coast.  I
didn't work much from EU with the CQ method however did pick a couple of
nice mults that are LIKE SHOOTING FISH IN A BARREL from Wrong Coast.  GJ,
P3,ZB2, and really tuff stuff like  GM, and GI
The big sigs were from CU2,  S9   There were vy few above S-2  that
Includes EA, and some of the G0, that were in the middle of the band
running. None of the Italian stations were over S-1 and no S5 or LZ
heard. The P3 and a H29  were the only Z-20 worked. Suspect same station
were barely above ESP.

NOW THE W9's  think they have it TOUGH.

K7QQ          810 Q ,         29 Z            109 C
                               Heard  Z 23 & 34  no luck

people out there who stop tuning when they hit the RTTY activity.
>Don't.  You never know what may be higher.
>
>On a less cheerful note, for the third DX contest in a row I had my
>primary run on Sunday destroyed by a W3 station who apparently doesn't
>consider a "YES" response to "QRL?" unless it comes from Europe.  And
>I'm not exactly running QRP.  (in fact, I work these culprits in most
>domestic contests without any trouble, and through the same amount of
>QRM, so I know d*mned well they can hear me...)  One or two clueless
>folks even tried to run me off 28.126.....
>
>Maybe someday, us folks west of the mountains should give these
>receiver-less operators what they want.  We'll agree to allow them to
>do
>all the CQing - we'll work only S&P during the European opening.
>Then,
>we'll see how many casual participants show up in Europe once they
>realize they can't work anything west of Pittsburgh.....
>
>73 Doug
>

>--
>CQ-Contest on WWW:        http://www.contesting.com/_cq-contest/
>Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST@contesting.com

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]