[CQ-Contest] don't stop at the RTTY!

Subject: [CQ-Contest] don't stop at the RTTY!
From: vr2bg@harts.org.hk (VR98BrettGraham)
Date: Tue Dec 1 07:28:53 1998
Of course there's no Novice sub-band on 20, but this is somewhat related...

Finding a clear frequency on 14 Mc which a puny little station like mine
might get a run going on was frequently a problem.  Invariably, this meant
going so high up in the band that I should've borrowed one of my neighbor's
scuba kit (for the oxygen).

Much higher than 070 & you run into the RTTY folks, who are much better
behaved than the SSTV crowd.  I prefer not to be up there, but when
there's no other choice, I find that I can find a hole where we can both
get along.  Only once did I experience what I considered to be deliberate
jamming by an RTTYer.

More disconcerning was a gentleman from Germany operating in Thailand.
He took it upon himself to let me know quite clearly & repeatedly in CW
that I should not operate above 060.  I can only assume that he did this
only to me because my signal was so loud compared to the other dozens of
stations operating above 060 at the time.

His deliberate interference to my operation finally drove me to QSY, but
unfortunately after he asked "do you want to be disqualified?".  He no doubt
feels he "won" by driving me away.

Hello CQ WW committee - what's the stand on situations like these?  I see
no CQ WW rule that I broke by operating above 060 & there is certainly
no restriction against it under my amateur station or operator licenses.

The only reason I can see is that this expatriate believes that whatever
rules he perceives to apply to him in his home country also apply when he
is abroad & perhaps therefore these should also apply to others around him.

IMHO, this is taking the European 7 Mc SSB thing way too far...

73, VR98BrettGraham