[CQ-Contest] WPX- EU qso party?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] WPX- EU qso party?
From: robert@gi0kow.freeserve.co.uk (Robert Cummings)
Date: Wed Mar 3 02:05:50 1999
Hi Group,
I read Mike NO6X posting tonight regarding his experiences operating
from Macedonia last year in WPX ssb. I note his comment "wanna talk
about a qso party???"

His comment set me thinking so ran a continent  breakdown on my two SSB
logs from last years CQ events CQ WPX and CQWW. I was SOAB hi-pwr in
both with a full effort in both contests and running the same antennas
etc. for both events. I realise of course the great variances there are
in the two contests regarding scoring, tactics, propagation etc.  but
was surprised to see how closely the 2 match up. There were 3894 qsos
claimed in the WPX log and 5323 qsos claimed in the CQWW log.

CQ WPX                                 CQWW
N.A 43.0 %                             N.A 48.9 %
S.A 3.1  %                             S.A 1.9  %
E.U 43.7 %                             E.U 43.4 %
A.S 7.9  %                             A.S 3.8  %
A.F 1.1  %                             A.F 1.3  %
O.C 1.1  %                             O.C 0.7  %

I know its only one example from one station but not sure looking at
those figures how WPX under the past rules could ever have been
described as an EU qso party.

Mike please do not take the above message as a flame in any way, I just
thought it was interesting to compare a few figures following on from
your posting.  I wonder how the new rules will change percentages in the
next few years.
73
- --
Robert Cummings GI0KOW