[CQ-Contest] Re: MI Redux

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: MI Redux
From: zf2nt@candw.ky (Bruce Sawyer)
Date: Sun Mar 7 01:09:05 1999
Kok Chen wrote:

> Hi Bruce,
>
> K0TEX may have been a bootlegged call.  Just read it back a
> couple of times, substitutine the letter o for the 0...

I see your point, and you are absolutely right.  Until I got your note,
I saw that call as simply another ham call; it was just a 1 x 3 call
that had no significance.  But since you pointed this out, as have a few
others, I can see that this particular call was probably selected by the
person who was harrassing me simply because of the arrangement of the
characters.  Up until now, I had assumed it was most likely somebody
associated with the Red River Radio Club and therefore some person with
whom the trustee for that call sign should be familiar.

With that bit of insight, I agree that Paul Kluwe, the trustee for this
call, is almost surely a totally innocent bystander with likely no
connection to the person misusing that call.

I do still feel, however, that this incident illustrates a situation
that needs to be considered as the ARRL works to make its log checking
more rigorous.  There is now some number of people who have me in their
logs for contacts made on 15m this morning and they are not in my log.
This will surely be caught, and they will be penalized for it.  It was
not their fault, because they worked the station who pirated my call in
good faith.  It was not my fault, because even knowing my call was being
pirated there was nothing I could do about it.  Still, those people are
going to be penalized.  I don't have the answer to this kind of problem,
but I do think it needs to be considered.

Bruce, ZF2NT/N6NT