[CQ-Contest] Log checking--report of collateral damage?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Log checking--report of collateral damage?
From: Fatchett.Mike@tci.com (Fatchett, Mike)
Date: Mon Mar 8 15:11:13 1999

Penalies should only be for intentional deception. Miscopying a number
should not be.

I don't agree.
A miscopied report is a blown contact period.
The object is to exchange information not you send your info and  I send
mine.
Perfect copy should be the goal.

Consider this, every ARRL Contest Branch employee should enter the next
ARRL CW SS to get a better understanding of the effects on entrants of
this new scrutiny. Anyone care to guess how many rigs blow up that
Saturday morning or the reports of headaches and working overtime ?

I'm sorry, but I want the intentional cheaters acted on before trying to
make trouble for the simple guy trying to enter and have some fun.

Doesn't this really apply to serious contesters?  Does the guy who is just
trying to have fun send in log?  Is he concerned about his log being
checked?  If I am just playing around in a contest I might log it I might
not.  I will make sure that you receive my information correctly.

I don't know what the criteria for checking the logs are but if it was me I
would check the top 100 scores and logs that are eligible for an awards in
their section, country etc.

>From many of the comments I have seen many operators contest like people
around here drive.  Blowing this red light will be ok.  No need to stop at
the stop sign.  Oh it won't hurt if I drive 75 instead of 70.  Gee I think
he got my call ok.  Everyone runs 3000 watts what's the big deal.  The
packet spot said 7X2AA is here no need to find out it this is really him.

When I start a contest I understand that I am most likely going to blow a
few contacts.  I certainly try to log everything properly but from time to
time my fingers will transpose a callsign or type in ORG instead or ORE.  I
might hear 59 10 when it should have been 59 100. Wrong is wrong and the
contact should be deleted.  Was it an honest mistake?  You bet!

I have heard rumors that people have just sent in scores.  Basically never
operating and submitting winning logs.  We have come a long long way.  Sure
there are going to be some bumps along the way.  Lets give it a chance.

Log checking is not a personal attack on anyone.  It is just a part of the
contest.

73

Mike
W0MU