[CQ-Contest] Log Scrubbage

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Log Scrubbage
From: aa7bg@3rivers.net (Matt--K7BG)
Date: Mon Mar 8 21:00:59 1999
>> I see one thing which could possibly solve this dilemma. For all stations
>> wishing to compete for Top 10 status, make it mandatory for these
>> stations to
>> email their log within 2 hours after the end of the contest. No
>> editing,,, no
>> perusing...just the real thing as it happened. Then, the
>> log-checkers who wish
>> to give up their lives for the sake of 100% accuracy, have at it,
>> and may the
>> best set of ears and DSP-equipped stations win.
>>

>Hey! what a great idea, how about 10 minutes? Wonder if some stations would
>start taking their off times at the end. This also will increase the
>post-contest excuses. I had problems with the rotator plus the phone wasn´t
>working!
>
>Ernesto Grueneberg - LU5CW

Of all the shouts and torch bearers calling for  K5GA to cease and desist
with his opinions, this is the first response (I've seen) addressing the
very good point he (K5GA) made regarding expeditious log mailings.
Interesting that it came from the LU section.  Ten minutes sounds good to
me. Get up from the chair. Quaff that last half can of warm, flat Dr.
Pepper. Empty the bed-pan. Get back and e-mail my log. Seriously, what good
reason does anybody have for any other protocol?  Send that sucker in! No
time to scrub-a-dub-dub.

I just sent my ARRL CW in today. Didn't do one thing to it. I'm just lazy.
If I've got a month, why push it. I vote for the new ten minute rule. You
just stayed up for 24 or 48  hours, what's another 10 minutes old man?

On a related note. I used a callsign database for the very first time in
the ARRL CW.  Man did it slow the old 486 down. I'd type in a call and
enter and when the run was rolling it would take up to a second and a half
for the computer to send the exchange!  I've never used a master data base
in SS, but I guess I better  get a faster computer and get with the
program. Do they have all the pertinent data for stations over the years?
Check, section, prec, etc.?  Sure, I know they change a little so a guy's
still gotta stay half awake to make sure he has the right info, but I
sometimes wonder how much LESS of an operator some of this
automation/computer stuff could make me.

>From Ted Kazinsky's old neighborhood,

Matt--K7BG