[CQ-Contest] Sending the wrong exchange

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Sending the wrong exchange
From: k5na@texas.net (Richard L. King)
Date: Tue Mar 9 20:09:13 1999
At 03:02 AM 3/8/99 +0000, N4ZR wrote:

>At 08:18 PM 3/7/99 -0500, thompson@mindspring.com wrote:
>>
>>I agree its not always the receiving stations fault if something is
>>miscopied.
>
>Amen - I ran into two in the just-completed ARRL test who sent powers of
>1k/999 and 100/99 in successive QSOs with me - annoying, at best.

I worked a station that gave me a power of 100 watts on 15 meters a couple
hours after a 10M QSO where he gave me "59KiloWatt".

So I asked him about it and he said he was having trouble with his amp and
was now operating barefoot. But he expected to have the amp going again
very soon.

So the question is whether I might lose one of those QSOs if the DX station
doesn't clearly mark in his log where he changed his sent-power level in
the exchange?

I once operated from KP2 with an amplifer that didn't cover 160 meters. I
gave my report as "599KW" on 10 through 80 but switched to "599100" on 160
meters. The result was that I confused a lot of people but I did clearly
mark my sent exchange in the paper log. This was before computerized logs
and I suspect that most computerized logs don't show the sent exchange for
each and every QSO. Also it is very difficult to dynamically document those
changes while operating using a compter log.

Maybe a simple rule that DX stations ahould always send their highest power
used for the entire contest no matter what the situation of their current
power would cover this? Or would this be a case of making a rule to
accomodate the shortcomings of computer logging programs? I guess it's no
big deal unless I lose the QSO.

I also noticed that some stations switched between using 1K/999 and 100/99.
I suppose this was because of operator changes in multi-ops? I can't think
of another reason for changing during the contest.

73, Richard

k5na@texas.net