[CQ-Contest] Shack power wiring

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Shack power wiring
From: n2ckh@cybercomm.net (Steve Hajducek)
Date: Sun Mar 14 13:48:41 1999
At 02:44 PM 3/14/99 +0000, you wrote:

>At home, I have a 220 circuit for the amp alone along with 2 110 circuits.
>I use one of these for an air conditioner (only) - Arizona, and the other
>for the rest of the computer, radio, etc gear.
>
>Personally, I'd strongly suggest an independent 220 circuit for the amp.
>
>>For my money I'd run one  220V circuit for the amp by itself and one 120V
>>circuit for everything else, both #10. My logic has always to run the amp
>>on a seperate circuit you get better voltage regulation at the far end that
>>way. A sepearte 60Amp service is probably overkill although handy to have
>>the breaker box in the shack, also a lot more expensive.
>
>--
>Mr. Cole's Axiom: The sum of the intelligence on
>the planet is a constant; the population is growing.
>--
>Brian Short 1994 E Laguna Dr  Tempe, Az 85282
>bshort@speedchoice.com >or< http://www.qex.net/
>--
>

>--
>CQ-Contest on WWW:        http://www.contesting.com/_cq-contest/
>Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST@contesting.com

Once upon a time I felt the same way, I still do to a certain extent.

Years ago when I lived in Sayreville, NJ in a house built new in 1966
with a 100 amp service, I  purchased an SB-220 and used it on a
220v circuit. As far as I was concerned it work just fine. My TS-930
drovei to near rated specs when needed, however the panel lamps in
the amp dimmed during keyed states, more so during peaks. The
lights in the room (115v circuit), normal incandesant light bulbs also
changed in sync with my transmissions.

When I moved into my current home in Lakewood, NJ, built in 1955,
which was brought up to code in 1979, (200 AMP service) I found a
separate 115v outlet for a window air conditioner right where I planned
my station to be located. So, to expedite operations, I rewired the
selection block in the SB-220 for 110v use. Well, to my surprise, it
worked much better than it ever did on 220v. The lamps have almost
no dim, the rest of the likes in the house stay solid and I get more
output (80 watts) as well.

So it basically boils down to the service you have and its existing dis-
tribution within your home. Having a separate line for the amplifier is
always best. As to wether it needs to be 220v is subjective, if you
have a 115v line that is not loaded, or best yet, completely separate,
try it, if it works well, use it. Also do not forget a good inrush current
protector and AC line voltage monitor.

The next thing is the grounding of the station !

/s/ Steve, N2CKH
http://www.QTH.com/n2ckh.bytewise.org