[CQ-Contest] One-point SS QSOs

Subject: [CQ-Contest] One-point SS QSOs
From: thompson@mindspring.com (thompson@mindspring.com)
Date: Fri Mar 26 14:41:54 1999

>Doubt it no longer. I remember 1-pointers. They were dropped in my
>contesting lifetime...I think maybe 1968, the same year as the x 1.25
>multiplier for low power stations was dropped.
>
>Doug, K1DG   (feeling older and older...)

I do not remember counting a 1 point SS QSO in my several entries.  I either
completed the Q or left it out.

The low power mult was 1.25 on W and 1.5 on phone.   I think the low power
mult was a mistake to drop.   I still feel that the mult was dropped and the
hours shortened as we were closing in on 300K. Boy were they wrong if they
thought this would limit scores.  K2AAA, K6EVR, and myself showed that with
the switch to SSB from AM that phone scores would top CW abd run far beyond
300K.  In those days  you could only work one mode as they ran at the same
time.

Dave K4JRB ex K5MDX  retired from the SS in 1963 at the tender age of 19.