[CQ-Contest] QSO Parties

Subject: [CQ-Contest] QSO Parties
From: utahfolk@konnections.com (utahfolk@konnections.com)
Date: Tue May 4 08:18:04 1999
I don't want to start a thread here ... just toss out a couple of ideas
and
see if someone wiser than I can formulate a better contest ....

Except for a few, these (State) QSO PARTIES ARE A WASTE OF TIME!

I take a QSO Party as a CONTEST.  In a contest I want to work lotsa
stations!  If you are an outsider (outside the sponsoring state)
you are not going to be able to do much as far as runs go or anykind
of rate ... in most of the QSO Parties.  Why?  Because there is
not that much activity.  Unless you are seeking to win the coveted
FIRST PLACE your STATE certificate for making ONE QSO, the time is
hardly exciting, the rates are zilch and you wonder if collecting
snowflakes wouldn't be more rewarding!

Instead of sponsoring a QSO Party that focuses on folks working
stations inside the sponsor state, why not a QSO party open to
all that is simply SPONSORED by a State.  Rules could go something like
this: The USA QSO PARTY sponsored by Missouri SSB

   Multipliers (outsiders):  Sponsor State counties, as they are now.
   Multipliers (insiders) :  States/Provinces/Countries, as they
                             are now.

   Points:  for working an insider -- 10 points/ssb   20 pts/digital
            for working an outsider -- 1 point/ssb     2 pts/digital

   EXCHANGE: 5NN (State/Province/Country).

   Everyone works everyone (and once per band too!)

   Such is a QSO Party SPONSORED by a State and open to all and
   operation is among all.

   Awards are based on highest SCORES ... can have inside/outside
   awards if desired ... etc.

   (Not a QSO Party SPONSORED by a State to just work the State-folks!)

Would such a set of rules improve activity levels? ... me sez absolutely
YES!

As it is, for a QSO Party not well planned/sponsored, the time quickly
passes
from boredom to insanity and the debate soon enters your mind as to
whether or not stamp collecting is really the hobby for you!

Direct comments accepted.  I'be been contest active for more than 40
years,
so I've experience here ... more than my share of QSO PARTY INSANITY!

.... Dave NC7W / Huntsville, UT