[CQ-Contest] QSO Parties

Subject: [CQ-Contest] QSO Parties
From: TOMK5RC@aol.com (TOMK5RC@aol.com)
Date: Tue May 4 22:37:59 1999
In a message dated 5/4/99 4:19:15 PM Pacific Daylight Time, Jimk8mr@AOL.COM
writes:

<< I don't want to start a thread here >>

Too late!

As with any other endeavor, the state QSO Parties are as successful as the
work the sponsors put into them. Aside from the CQP (which tempts
participants with tasty California vino) You have to put the full court press
on participants and on the media to ensure any level of activity in any
"non-major" contest. Currently, K4OJ carries the banner for the FQP and has
made it successful by relentless plugging and getting operators excited about
going mobile into rare counties.

For those of you who don't remember or weren't active in the mid 80's, The
Great Armadillo Runs were the model for state QSO parties. It actually
started in the late 70's when K5KG, K5RC, N5JJ and NA5R started going out for
the MARAC CW contest. That led to the Texas DX Society bringing the Texas QSO
Party back to life. With the above mentioned publicity and soliciting folks
to put mobile rigs in the family wagon, in 1983 they activated all 256 Texas
Counties in one weekend (and K4OJ worked all of them!). In '84, they
activated all counties in Louisiana and Arkansas. In '85, they finished out
the Fifth call area with Oklahoma and New Mexico. For the Texas
Sesquicentennial in 1986, we put on 85% of the 3,076 counties in the USA in
two weekends! We also got the Governor of Texas to declare "Armadillo County"
until the end of '86. We also got the first QST Cover for a Club operating
event (April, '86).

The point is that state QSO party sponsors can do just about anything with a
motivated group of hams and the time and tenacity to keep pushing (a la
K4OJ). The question becomes, WHY? As the former County Judge of Armadillo
County, I can testify that it's an incredible amount of work for the
amusement of a handful of folks. Is it worth it? Ask the sponsors.

Tom, K5RC