[CQ-Contest] Apr wpx and busted q

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Apr wpx and busted q
From: k2av@qsl.net (Guy Olinger, K2AV)
Date: Thu May 6 20:36:59 1999
On Thu, 6 May 99 13:29:45 -0500, you wrote:

>>Currently there is nothing that rewards for both directions being
>>correct. If I shortchange the other guy while I'm running and he can't
>>get back to me for corrections, I loose nothing. I identify
>>infrequently and cause call sign problems at the other end, I don't
>>get penalized, he does. If I get the bonus only when BOTH he and I are
>>correct BOTH ways, maybe I take some interest in practices that also
>>improve the other guy's chances.
>
>This is crap!  If you get my info right and I don't get yours because I
>am not sure for some reason, NEITHER of us should get any points.  The
>purpose of the contest is not to get incredible runs, but to make QSOs (A
>QSO is a confirmed 2 way contact).  Sure, runs are good for egos and I
>think that's why some people are pissed for getting penalized.  But if
>you identify infrequenctly and cause problems at the other end you SHOULD
>NOT get points while screwing others.  Listen to your language, "If I
>short change the other guy....I loose nothing."  What kind of crap is
>that?

Having a bad day?

If you read closely you will see that I offer the thought as a
malintent for consideration, something that is permitted under the
current rules, and propose a solution for it, I DON'T recommend the
malintent. This is a common language device for turning over ideas in
written, spoken communications.

Take a nap and read it again. You're grousing at the fellow that
agrees with you.

>It's sad that I've learned some many contesters are only interested in
>their scores.  Before signing on to this reflector and reading all this
>stuff I used to pride myself in the fact that Ham Radio contesting is the
>only competition I know of in the world where in order to score points
>you have to help someone else score points as well; the guy who helps the
>most other people wins.  Now I am not so sure.  All that it seems like
>people want are high run rates and points for themselves.  Who cares
>about the other guy unless I get extra points for helping him?
>
>Makes me sick.  Perhaps I'll just leave this reflector and pretend about
>contesting like I used to.  I am embarassed to say I am in the same hobby.
>
>No 73 this time,

I've never had a ham shoot at me, or try to set my house on fire. If I
get on a repeater with an emergency, I've always been helped. I have
found the ham contesting community to be cordial and a lot of fun,
though we ALWAYS disagree on some stuff. Only a tiny handful over the
years would I NOT want as a neighbor, or trust my kids with.

Whether you like it or not, I insist on treating you as a human being
with inate dignity, someone whose time and space upon the planet
counts for something, and whose posts to a listserve deserve reading
and consideration, even if I disagree.

Many people have died to give us a country with the privilege of
open, cordial disagreement. I refuse to show disrespect for their
sacrifice.

THEREFORE,

73, and I hope tomorrow is better. See you on in the contests.

Guy.

>Jon
>KE9NA

>The Second Amendment is NOT about duck hunting!
>

>Jon Ogden
>
>jono@enteract.com
>www.qsl.net/ke9na

73, Guy