[CQ-Contest] Re: Choice of CW Narrow filters

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: Choice of CW Narrow filters
From: ct1elp@junitec.ist.utl.pt (Pedro Pedroso)
Date: Thu May 13 15:42:28 1999

On Wed, 12 May 1999, Jon Ogden wrote:

> I will admit that it is frustrating to try a low power operation with a
> tri-bander and get no where because of the big guns.  It sure was easier
> when I got my PA working for the CQWWPX and had some umpf behind me. But
> still it is hard to compete with a stacked array. I admire those guys who
> do a low power effort and still score more than a lot of the big guns.

        Hello !
        I usualy enter on the low power cathegory because I have no Amp.
        Also I don't have any filters for SSB or CW on my equipment, I
        know how it feels when a big gun appears on a near frequency with
        its tremendous signal and proporcinal splatering and in spite
        of not being on your precise freq he doesn't allow you to copy
        anyone below signal strength 7 or more !! Of course that he didn't
        hear the low power guy when he started his CQ because the low
        power station does not produce a splatering of 2kHz and even if it
        did the big gunner has always a nice filter on the receiver to
        eliminate that !
        In conclusion I believe that filters are essencial when the band
        is crowded. Also (and its not for being a low power enter) I think
        that the low power stations with only 100W and a small tribander
        have to develop a very high operation technic if they want to
        to something in a contest !
        I got 1st place in Europe on 10m low power last CQ WPX CW and
        my station is just an Icom IC-725 100W (NO CW FILTER) and
        thre antena is a 2 Element tribander (TH2). I wonder how many
        of those big gun operators who are used just to call CQ during
        90% of the contest time without ever having problems with someone
        "stealing" his frequency, would perform with a smaller station !?

                        73 de CT1ELP Pedro