[CQ-Contest] SCP in practice

Subject: [CQ-Contest] SCP in practice
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Thu May 13 14:29:17 1999
At 03:30 PM 5/13/1999 +0000, VR2BG wrote:

>I use SCP.  It comes from my own logs.  What I hear goes into my logs.
>What I see on the screen may help me focus on what I'm hearing, but
>it's still what I hear that goes into the log.
>
>With more than a decade of logs fed into the thing, compliled lists of
>active calls serve more to weed out what I've worked before & am unlikely
>to work again, provided I remain reasonably active.  I wouldn't
>consider using more data than that from others.
>
>I really don't see what's wrong with that.  To rely on it exclusively
>is clearly foolish.  It certainly is easy to do.  But to ban it
>because of potential abuse is unfair to those who don't.

I've experimented over the past year with using SCP files that others have
compiled, and have been quite impressed by the number of "uniques" that
have crept into the data.  It's enough to make me darned careful about
taking the computer's word for a callsign.  One built-in trap is that the
programs don't tell you if one call appeared in the input data twice (for
example), while a U+1 appeared 750 times, and was the correct call.

Before next season, I plan to build my own TRMASTER.DTA file, using my
fairly large logbook as the basis.  I will feel better about that, both as
to quality and ethics.

73,  Pete N4ZR
Loud is good