[CQ-Contest] SS from KP4

Subject: [CQ-Contest] SS from KP4
From: aa4lr@radio.org (Bill Coleman AA4LR)
Date: Fri May 14 13:51:54 1999
On 5/7/99 15:10, Patrick Barkey at pbarkey@gw.bsu.edu wrote:

>What's the ethical difference between operating SS
>from KP4 and operating a DX contest from W1?

Well, there's no huge geographical advantage from KP4 for SS. Typically,
someone in the midwest wins SS, not KP4. Indeed, KP4 can be fraught with
dangers.

In 1989, I won division leader for low power SSB SS from GA. That's the
Southeastern division, which inclides KP4/KP2. I didn't even make the top
ten. Of course, the guys down in KP4/KP2 were all putting the pieces back
together after Hugo....

KP4/KP2 can have rather tough propagation into the population centers of
the states (ie 1, 2 and 3-land). It's mostly on the higher bands, and
those in the target area with beams are most likely pointed west, not
south. The middle states of the country do better, because they have
better propagation into the population centers on the low bands.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr@radio.org
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901