[CQ-Contest] Hearing Voices

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Hearing Voices
From: k2av@qsl.net (Guy Olinger, K2AV)
Date: Tue May 18 16:20:04 1999
On Tue, 18 May 1999 08:47:58 -0400 (EDT), you wrote:

>Many times following a contest, we hear spurious CW as our brains
>desperately try to make any noise coming into our ears into CW.  After
>all, that was its job for the last 48-hours, right?
>
>I'd like to know how many of you experience that and for how long.  If you
>don't mind, send me email with how long you usually hear the "ghost code"
>and any other interesting notes about post-contest consciousness
>enhancement.  All reports kept strictly confidential, if desired.
>
>Thanks!
>
>73, Ward N0AX

This is one of the reasons that miscopied cw is easy to come by.

At the end of a CQWW or ARRL DX at W4BVV, still the most complete
immersion in endless CW I've ever experienced, on a rig if awake and
not eating or on the can, I would hear CW in everything at least
through Sunday evening, sometimes on Monday as well.

This was particularly true in the noise of the car driving home.

After a while, the mind will make cw out of the noise (filling in the
blanks?)

I cut my cw teeth on 80m cw nets, with all the QRN, etc, and no
friendly DSP to help. To this day I can listen to signals in QRN on a
speaker that drives anyone else in the next room batty.

I also will listen contentedly to music on the FM radio travelling
that has become noisey enough to annoy everyone else in the car.
"Dad, will you please change that, it's all noise..." Well, I *think*
I'm hearing music, anyway.

In my case this does NOT work on SSB. I have always wondered about
that. Some of the local PVRC brethren clearly hear voices and
intelligence in the noise that I cannot make out.

So I don't hear voices in the noise, just CW & Music (aren't they the
same?).

73 y'all, Guy.

73, Guy
--. .-..