[CQ-Contest] Are You a Contester ?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Are You a Contester ?
From: K3BU@aol.com (K3BU@aol.com)
Date: Mon Jul 12 14:01:04 1999

kh2d@kuentos.guam.net writes:

<<
 And during the course of the next few hours, something else
 happened that left me totally amazed. Not once, not twice,
 not three times, but probably TWO DOZEN times, someone
 who was operating in the contest plopped himself down on
 the exact frequency we were using and started calling CQ
 CONTEST.....

 And of the two dozen times that happened, NOT ONCE did
 one of my fellow contesters ask IS THE FREQUENCY IN USE.
 Not once......

Maybe they red your home page "wisdom"?

>From KH2D home page:
http://www.qsl.net/kh2d/cwtips.html

Frequently Asked Questions About CW Contesting
HOW DO I FIND A FREQUENCY TO CALL CQ ? Tune around until you can't hear
anything on a particular frequency for at least 30 milliseconds. Then press
the 'CQ CONTEST' button on your keyer. If you hear other stations when the CQ
CONTEST message is finished, simply press the button again. Continue to do
this until other stations begin to call you, no matter how long it takes.
NEVER NEVER NEVER send 'QRL?' before CQ'ing. REAL contest stations never do
that. Don't spend a minute listening to make sure that a frequency is clear
before you CQ, that is a major waste of time. If you wound up on a frequency
that already had somebody calling CQ, no problem. CQ DUELING is just a part
of contesting. If the other guy is serious about contesting, it will only
take you a few minutes to make him go away. Save that frequency in memory.
It's your home CQ frequency. If you QSY to work multipliers, always go back
it again.

I am confused, which is it?  :-))))

Yuri, K3BU