[CQ-Contest] Are You a Contester ?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Are You a Contester ?
From: ids@nol.net (R.S.Hradilek)
Date: Tue Jul 13 04:21:28 1999

m><smaller>I rarely get involved with these threads because they tend to t=
urn  into
flame wars, but I do have a point to make regarding QRLing.

I am mostly in sympathy with Jim, KH2D, but have a different  approach to
establishing a run frequency that does not include a QRL.  It has a lot to=
 do
with my own response when a station QRLs my run  frequency.

Typically, a station looking for a clear frequency will listen for a few
seconds (at most), then either QRL or punch F1. Either way, it causes  QRM=
.
Almost invariably, this happens to me when I am trying to dig  out a weak
one. If I am working a copyable station, the frequency will  not sound so
available, right? So lets consider the scenario where I  am trying to dig =
weak one out and somebody loud jumps in with a  QRL?:

 an additional  repeat from
the weak guy. </paraindent>

QRMing my own  QSO, and
possibly missing the info I am trying to copy -  necessitating an
additional request for a repeat from the weak  guy.</paraindent>

 I often copy the  weak guy=92s
callsign (finally) and reclaim the frequency anyway  when I QRZ. </paraind=
ent>

with a YES, the  QRL=92er can
get the mistaken impression that he has a right to  the frequency
because he QRL=92ed first.  WRONG!</paraindent>

 duel, or he may  quickly leave -
usually the latter (at least on CW).</paraindent>

My point is: QRLing proves nothing. When your primary focus is on
copying a weak guy with minimal repeats, the QRLer is just QRM.  Your
presence on a run frequency is always at risk when you stop to  dig out
repeats from weak stations, and anything that prolongs the  contact
increases your vulnerability. I may be a minority here, but I  usually cho=
ose
to get the contact in the log and run the QRM off  later. It=92s another c=
ontest
trade-off.

[Footnote: I have also noticed an inability to copy SLOW CW during
periods of advanced contest FATIGUE, even when signals are not that
weak. My exhausted mind cannot adjust to the change in code speed. I  can=92=
tell the dits from the dahs, because they are all dahs. The worst  thing a=
 weak
guy can do when I ask for repeats of his callsign is slow  down his sendin=
g.
For some reason, I can still copy the strong QRQ  guys while groggy and
drooling on the keyboard, and run my Last10  rates up to 150.]

So how do I go about finding a run frequency? I listen for a few  seconds,=

then send a single =93?=94.  My own knee-jerk reaction when this  is done =
on my
run frequency is to send my callsign.  Thus I use the =93?=94  as an abbre=
viated
QRL to minimize any QRM I might cause, and listen  for a response.

If nothing is heard, I DO NOT assume the frequency is available yet,  but
do punch F1. If it turns out the frequency is in use, I am  immediately to=
ld to
QSY - or the run station o<bigger>n<smaller> frequency  establishes his pr=
esence with his
own CQ. Most importantly: I  immediately leave without question. My
intention is to cause minimal  QRM to others and (recognizing the problems=

with the QRL scenario)  this is the method I choose to quickly and
effectively determine  frequency availability.  Even so, I do not consider=

the frequency  =93mine=94 until I get some rate.

This is in contrast to the problem expressed by KH2D (on SSB) where
stations obstinately try to take over a frequency. The guys he  complains
about are truly inconsiderate, but my point is that QRLing  is no solution=
 - at
least not on CW.

Do I steal frequencies? Well, sometimes. My rule is: =93Never Steal
Frequencies from People who are Successfully Making Contacts. =93
Conversely, if I come across a station that CQs in everybody=92s face
(including mine after several calls), I punch F1. Correctly stated, this  =
rule is
=93Never Allow a Lid to Waste Bandwidth on a Crowded Band=94.  Yeah, I go =
for
his frequency aggressively (especially during the  summer solstice =93non-
contest=94 Lidfest - aka Field Day).

I expect some flames, but this is my viewpoint.

/* End of Rant */