[CQ-Contest] Re: QRL?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: QRL?
From: kg5u@hal-pc.org (Dale L. Martin)
Date: Wed Jul 14 18:11:50 1999
AD5Q said:

>>  Send a VERY
>> short CQ, like "TEST MYCALL", a couple times before launching
a longer CQ.  If
>> the frequency is in use, you'll hear about it eventually, but
don't assume
>> that just because you didn't get an immediate response the
frequency is
>> "yours".  Imagine yourself on the other end.
>>
>> When you're on the receiving end of the QRL?, sometimes you
can just send a
>> quick "dit" (with QSK) without losing anything you're trying
>copy.
>
>Now we are getting somewhere. I like this idea. The QRL scenario
>needs more abbreviation for CW contests. This would have to be
>adopted by convention among contesters so we would all
>recognize it. Maybe a single dit for QRL and another dit for
YES,
>plus constant education of newbies on the need to keep it brief.
>CW is a language of abbreviations.

If my memory works, it seems there was at one time or another a
'dit' type "QRL?"...

"di-dit  dit", wasnt it?

Simply sending that was supposed/expected to elicit a response of
some sort.

I don't think we used on Navy S/S CW circuits, but I remember it
being used many, many years ago.

73,
dale, kg5u