[CQ-Contest] Re: ARRL DX Contest exchange

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: ARRL DX Contest exchange
From: paul@ei5di.com (Paul O'Kane EI5DI)
Date: Sun Aug 22 23:39:39 1999
There seems to be two main objections to changing the exchange.

1.  It ain't broke.
    It is broke!  When stations send the same (identical)
    exchange in every QSO, the only variable is callsign.
    We might as well exchange callsigns and nothing else.

    CQWW is "broke" for the same reason.

2.  Any change in the exchange will change the nature of the
    contest.
    There's no question of changing points or multipliers.
    I've suggested that W/VE send Serial instead of RS(T), and
    continue to send State (needed for multiplier tracking).
    DX would send Serial, instead of RS(T), but would no
    longer send Power.

    In any case, the nature of all HF contests has already
    been changed by contest logging software.

Serials serve to make each exchange unique.  This may be an
advantage or disadvantage depending on your point of view.
I believe contest exchanges should be unique.

Grid Squares are appropriate in VHF contests with distance
related scoring.  They have less relevance in HF DX contests
with fixed points/QSO and where, depending on band conditions,
it's often easier to work the next continent than the next
country (or State).

73,
Paul EI5DI
paul@ei5di.com