R: [CQ-Contest] ARRL DX Contest Exchange

Subject: R: [CQ-Contest] ARRL DX Contest Exchange
From: i4jmy@iol.it (Maurizio Panicara)
Date: Sun Aug 22 13:31:04 1999
What get's easier in log checking having a serial number I can't understand.
Slightly obscure is also why a DX station has the double need to "decode" a
multiplier and also a serial number. This double info decoding doesn't
happen in any other of the main WW contests I know and really hasn't a great
sense, but if this will be the change in the ARRL DX rules then it's ok for
me.
Fundamentally, infact, the serial exchange produces a small difference in
the competition between DX stations (like I'm) that will only see the total
logged qso reduced within the 48 hours, but in the same proportion for
nearly everyone.
Incidentally, instead, it will be a main difference in the farther areas of
the US that will see substantially reduced the number of their qsos and DX
worked (mults) too.
This arrangement, infact, definitely set US areas like mid west and west
coast, in a much worse condition than actually is.
For DX stations in Europe rates are slowed down by the composite
state-serial exchange and there is no reason to deal with weaker stations
after the states are already logged once to complete multipliers.
Like the ARRL DX it's now looks good, but if the exchange data is considered
so important to be updated, it would be much better if US station will
continue to send their state, and DX stations something like a part of their
grid-square.
Checking the datas to verify the 2 way contact, the grid square of the DX
must appear correctly in the log of the US station and so, the DX station
will care if the correspondant got correctly what he sent.
Setting a mid placed grid square for any US state and then calculating
distances like in the Stew-Perry contest the situation would be better
balanced all over the states giving a new perspective and appeal to the
contest, both to North America and to DX, without marginalizing the ARRL DX
to a sort of WPX clone were most of the traffic is between Europe and the US
east coast.
Did everyone already forget the struggle for pt/qso among USA in WPX not to
get bored ?

73,
Mauri I4JMY (one of IR4T)