[CQ-Contest] CAC Ruminations About ARRL DX Exchange

Subject: [CQ-Contest] CAC Ruminations About ARRL DX Exchange
From: k8gt@flash.net (Gerry Treas)
Date: Thu Aug 26 01:15:29 1999

Barry Kutner wrote:

> Lew - Please don't require portable designators. The FCC doesn't,
> so why should ARRL?! It would be a disadvantage for those of us
> who kept an old call after moving to another call area.
> 73 Barry W2UP (portable 3, but only 4 miles from 2 land)

Sorry Barry, but if the multipliers are states and the state you are in
is not reflected in the call area number in your call, I support the
requirement that you sign portable.  That's the price you pay for
keeping a call out of one's call area.  I spent a half hour off and on
chasing a WB8 in sweepstakes a few years ago because I needed WV and
only had 2 hours left. When I finally worked him, he was in CO (/0).
Now if the mult is the whole country (ie: the U.S.) then it is fine.
BTW, I think most contest rules, including the ARRL for the DX contest,
already state this, if it affects the mults.

As someone else on here already mentioned, most of the contests
(national contests, anyway) are to help those looking for stations so
that they can achieve the awards of the contest sponsor.  The ARRL DX
contest is a national contest, W/VE works the rest of the world.  For
the newcomers, Canada used to be just additional ARRL divisions, until
the setup a strong Canadian organization.
This is basically the same as the REF, ARI, SP, and HA contests (which
use political subdivisions of that country as multipliers, ie: counties,
states, departments, etc.)  I know I've left a lot out, but they are
just examples.  Let's just leave well enough alone, so that DX, serious
or casual contesters can hunt for their WAS and 5 Band WAS, as was
originally intended.

73 and good contesting,

Gerry,   K8GT