[CQ-Contest] Why Contest, Round II

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Why Contest, Round II
From: aa4lr@radio.org (Bill Coleman AA4LR)
Date: Tue Oct 12 15:15:02 1999
On 10/11/99 19:08, Steve Sacco NN4X at nn4x@evcom.net wrote:

>Awhile ago, I proposed on the thread that I didn't think you should spend
>time contesting unless you loved it.
>
>Imagine my surprise when I read the following statement by NASCAR stock car
>driver Mark Martin: "I don't love to race," Martin said. "I love to win."

I just remembered a line from "Star Trek: The Next Generation" that seems
significant here. Lt. Worf (who always had the best lines) after being
admonished that recreational sports are to enjoy, and not a do-or-die
competition states: "If winning is not important, why keep score?"

That probably applies here. Winning is important, because we do keep
score. But winning may not be the only thing.

That said, there are contesters who will engauge in a contest, perhaps
not following all the rules (like high power in NAQP for example), but
not bother to send in a log. These guys are definitely not keeping score.
To them, the game is the thing.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr@radio.org
Quote: "Boot, you transistorized tormentor! Boot!"
            -- Archibald Asparagus, VeggieTales