[CQ-Contest] Working Dupes

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Working Dupes
From: drussell@knox.net (Don Russell)
Date: Mon Dec 13 22:20:28 1999
Ron,

With all the computer logging that goes on during the contest there are
only a few reasons why a QSO is a dupe and none of them are good.

He busted your call.
You busted his call.
He (or you) thought you worked each other, but he (or you) were 50 hz. off
frequency working someone else.  This is a good reason to always give the
call of the station you are working; at least early in the test.

For some reason, one of you did not get the exchange right, as in your
example, and deleted the QSO.

These are all good reasons why you should always work a dupe.  If one of
you gets credit for two QSO's because of this, then so be it.

Of course on the other end of the pole, I have heard some paper loggers
comment that they do not keep track of what stations they work because the
other station will tell them if it is a dupe.

One thing I have noticed is that with everyone aware of the emphasis on log
checking, dupes are down and repeats are slightly up.  I think that is
good.  Make sure it is right.

I do as you did in the 10 meter contest and work all the dupes that call
me.  It is usually faster to do so anyway.

73,  Don,   WA8YRS      drussell@knox.net