[CQ-Contest] Remote Antennas and More

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Remote Antennas and More
From: bogus@does.not.exist.com (bogus@does.not.exist.com)
Date: Mon Feb 7 15:22:45 2000
The "antennas connected by wire" rule was made to prevent dialing up a remote
receiver, in say Germany, to help you, in the USA, to better hear the
Europeans calling you.  At the time the rule was written a very few people,
mainly government/military types, had access to this sort of situation.
Today it is more available via internet.  But even if everyone could use such
remote receivers, IMHO  it constitutes a gross abuse of contesting spirit.

I believe this may have been added before the question of what constituted
"property"  in a Communist country arose, from which the 500 meter circle
originated.

I don't have problems when the entire station is remoted a relatively short
distance, as is the case with N5ZC.

This does however lead to a question that technologically is now
realistically possible: remote operation of an entire DX station via remote
control from back home in the USA, or wherever.  If I operate VK0MR or 5A1MR
by connecting to a Kachina and antennas sitting in VK0 or 5A while I am
sitting at my computer in Cleveland, am I a DX station?  Can I run the
pileups from VK0 until the band goes dead and then QSY to working them from
5A?  Can I connect into 9M6 to give by club buddies or multi-multi team a new
multiplier?

Ain't technology and ethics a dynamite combination?

73  - Jim   K8MR