[CQ-Contest] Remote Antennas and More

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Remote Antennas and More
From: wn3vaw@fyi.net (Ron Notarius WN3VAW)
Date: Mon Feb 7 16:58:57 2000

It sounds like the wording of this rule may need tweaked to allow for modern
technology.

The spirit of the original rule & related rules, IMHO, was to restrict the
operating station to one physical location; ie, you would not wish to have a
multi-multi with different band positions located at different QTH's
scattered blocks, or miles or kilometers or more apart.  So the intent of
the rule in question was to make certain that the antennas were actually
connected to the station directly, not via a remote control.

Modern technology has certainly changed things.

So if I'm now running my station remotely (be it remote base, aux,
whatever), can I participate in the contest ethically?  Consider that it
won't be long, if it has not already happened, that Kachina and Pegasus -
type
equipment could be remote controlled via the Internet.

I'd like to see a clarification so that if my station is operated remotely,
and the entire operating position (transceiver, antennas, etc) are at one
physical location, I can operate the entire station remotely.  However, I
can not operate another remote station (or my home station), nor can I share
the remote equipment with another station.

So I may not have to physically be at the transmitter controls, but I can
only operate that station for the duration.  (My wording may be awkward, but
I think my intent is clear).  But if I'm running the remote station for the
duration, no on else can during my off times.

How's that sound?

73