[CQ-Contest] Does might make right

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Does might make right
From: wn3vaw@fyi.net (Ron Notarius WN3VAW)
Date: Tue Feb 29 06:50:47 2000
In most of the smaller contests I've been in -- the ones that tend to be a
lot more fun and have a lot less to do with inflating one's own ego -- it is
not at all unusual for an op who needs to make a 5 minute pit stop to ask
someone to take over his frequency for that brief period of time.

Amazingly enough, it usually happens.  And that when the original op
returns, the frequency is given back to him.

Further, if someone "running" a frequency works a "rare" multiplier, and
someone else in the pileup needs that multi, the "runner" stops a moment and
lets the "rare" guy work a bunch -- and then gets his frequency back and
everybody's happy.

That's the way I was taught to contest by some of the best I knew in
college -- W3AS, W3UA, AA3B, K3YD WA3FET to name just a few.

But I guess that's a lost skill at the highest levels?

...and having said that, I do have to agree that if you discontinue using a
frequency for a few minutes, even for a pit stop, and someone else grabs it,
it's too bad.  If you voluntarily relinquish your transmission, well, them's
the breaks.  But that's not the same as someone muscling you off.

73