[CQ-Contest] Re: weighing worth of OPINIONS

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: weighing worth of OPINIONS
From: rrossi@btv.ibm.com (Ron D. Rossi)
Date: Mon Mar 6 14:18:06 2000
>>>"Brakob, Hans" said:
>
> By the way, I like that term -- "radiosport" -- perhaps if we

Me too.

> used it deliberately in place of "contesting", it would serve to
> strengthen the idea of sportsmanship in our radio tournaments.
>
> In another of my hobbies, fishing, there are also competitive
> tournaments with "big guns" and "QRP'ers" and even "non-contesters"
> sharing the same water "spectrum".  In those contests, if a "big
> gun" tries to steal the spot being used by *ANY* other fisherman
> (participant or not), they are DQ'd on the spot.

Yeah but the status of a particular fisherman does not reduce his visibilty to
the "big gun". I worked a few 1 and 10 watt stations over the weekend, rest
assured that they were not very "visible"! It is funny how when I took the
time to work them was when I had to defend the frequency the most. It must
have sounded relatively quiet to a passerby at that time.

When the band background level is S9+10 and a spot is available at S7 with no
discernable particular signal for 5 seconds...guess what...sounds available to
me with a "KK1L contest" as a QRL! I worked a lot of 100 watters on a freq
like that. I will move (and did often) if I notice someone was really there.
Unsportsman like? Nope. The only way to find a freq this past weekend? Yup.

--
73 de KK1L...ron (kk1l@arrl.net) <><
QTH: Jericho, Vermont