[CQ-Contest] Sportsmanship and Radiosport

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Sportsmanship and Radiosport
From: k8cc@mediaone.net (k8cc)
Date: Mon Mar 6 14:38:09 2000
I have to agree wholeheartedly with K0HB's recent note about sportsmanship
in contesting, and how the concept of "radiosport" describes what many of us
aspire to in our competitive radio endeavors.  I find it interesting to
consider that in the former Soviet Union, and also the Eastern European
countries, that they refer to competitive radio events (whether a
traditional "contest", or a foxhunt) as "radiosport".  Perhaps they have a
more respectful view of our sport than us shallow Westerners.

Hans is also correct in that the people who we tend to respect in this sport
appear to adhere to this philosophy.  Many of my own "radio heroes" don't
check 3830, or even look at the score results that appear in the magazines
because its the operating, not the score, from which they derive
satisfaction.

Hans drew a parallel between radiosport and sport fishing.  For me, I like
to compare radiosport with NASCAR racing, where you have successful drivers
who respect their competitors, and those how will do anything for a win.  In
the Bristol, TN race last August, Dale Earnhardt wrecked Terry Labonte on
the last lap to win the race.  Earnhardt won the battle, but lost the war.
On the victory lap, he was resoundedly booed by the 140 thousand people in
attendance.  In the week that followed, there was not one TV interview with
Earnhardt (generally considered as being a driver who will do anything to
win) but several with Labonte (one of the "sportsmen" type).

FWIW.

73,

Dave/K8CC