[CQ-Contest] What's BUSTED ?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] What's BUSTED ?
From: jjreisert@alum.mit.edu (Jim Reisert AD1C)
Date: Mon Mar 6 15:03:00 2000
At 12:23 PM 3/6/00 -0600, Kenneth E. Harker wrote:
> > All this "nefarious" stuff aside, I found the fact that a "G3XYZBUSTED"
> > appeared on the BandMap to be a great eye-opener. Typing BUSTED only into
> > the comments area is much less useful as it scrolls off the (usually hidden
> > or non-existent) packet window WAY too fast to notice.
>
>I think it would be much more useful if the person who detected the "busted"
>callsign spot would instead spot the correct callsign.

Ken, you need to do BOTH.

I originally disliked the busted thing (you can't work HP9ZBUSTED so why
spot it?) but I have seen the light.     I hope more people do this.

If I have HP9Z in my ANNOUNCE window, immediately followed by HP9ZBUSTED,
then I know not to bother going to the frequency (let's say I have a good
run going, and don't want to QSY for a mult right away).  If I have just
HP9Z, and I go there (hey, things are slow and I still need Panama), and I
find 8P9Z there instead, what do I do?  Well, HP9Z is still in logging
program, waiting for me to hit enter.  It takes only a minimal amount of
work to type BUSTED after the call, put out the spot, and return to my run
frequency.  A trivial amount of extra work.

Now let's say instead I just put out the 8P9Z corrected spot (which is a
little more work than before, because you have to wipe out the old busted
call or do some magical editing).  Everyone still has HP9Z in their
ANNOUNCE window, and I bet a dozen people go after it.  Probably no one
needed 8P9Z anyway, so that call would NOT be in the announce window, so
there is NO INDICATION that HP9Z was busted.

Like I said, you need both.  It's a great convention and I hope more people
follow it.

73 - Jim AD1C

--
Jim Reisert AD1C <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>