[CQ-Contest] New SS Category Proposal

Subject: [CQ-Contest] New SS Category Proposal
From: JBaumgarte@aol.com (JBaumgarte@aol.com)
Date: Thu Mar 16 15:12:07 2000
In a message dated 3/16/00 7:57:56 AM Central Standard Time,
k1ky@bellsouth.net writes:

<<
 Tennessee is not unique with this limitation.  How about you other
 states out there that comprise a whole section, but the 175 mile circle
 catches only a handful of active contesters?? OK MI OH KY IN IL WI MO IA
 GA AL MS UT NV ID NE SD ND MN VA NC SC AK NM AZ AR as well as some
 sections within states probably aren't entirely captured.

Good point.   Most contesters have probably noticed the enormous growth of
the contesting community within Minnesota and western WI since the MN
Wireless Assn. regained new life a few years back.  The availability of a
reflector and moveable meetings have been key to this success.  Also, it has
always been our belief that the 175 miles is the radius not the diameter of
the circle.  Therefore, we very judiciously place the "club center" where it
does the most good--not in Minneapolis, etc.  I believe that this is a
significantly large capture area to satisfy nearly all groups.  Certainly,
there should be some sort of "actual community" involved in regional contest
clubs.  If there were no limits then it would simply degrade to the likes of
"Niger's Tigers", etc--which is great for team competition, but not real club
competition.

John Baumgarten, N0IJ
Duluth, MN
CAC Dakota Div.