[CQ-Contest] New SS Category Proposal

Subject: [CQ-Contest] New SS Category Proposal
From: k4sb@mindspring.com (K4SB)
Date: Mon Mar 13 15:50:06 2000
Well, am still undecided on this one, but the responses have been
informative.

First of all, I don't see much help in the CW test. Not at 5
wpm...And on the
SSB side, all these new entrants are already eligible. I learned
a long time ago that staying in the Extra segments is a sure way
to suicide.

As for the time allowed and day, I would strongly support the 8
hour period, but not in a single segment. Newbies are just not
going to make such a dedicated effort at something they've never
done. Make it 2 4 hours periods anytime in the contest. Or for
that matter, make it anytime in the contest for any amount of
time not to exceed 8 hours.

I would hope the idea would be to draw more entries, not just
enliven Sunday afternoon for us. Someone made a very valid point
that we well may actually take guys who would stay out of the
"regular" periods and go for the new category.

And as much as I recognize the need for log checking, I
definitely believe the requirements for log submission are one
reason the entries are down, and with the Cabrilo format coming
into play this time, we're going to add one more hurdle. Let's
face it, these new guys probably don't have the required
software, and I am still amazed at how many hams don't have
computers. Have we over
compensated in the log checking field?

Just thoughts...

73