[CQ-Contest] When and why did rules change?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] When and why did rules change?
From: aa4lr@radio.org (Bill Coleman AA4LR)
Date: Wed May 3 17:39:49 2000
On 5/3/00 4:04 PM, Igor Sokolov at ua9cdc@dialup.mplik.ru wrote:

>> "Tribander/Single Element (TS): Tribander (any type) with a single
>> feedline from the transmitter to the antenna and single element (TS)
>> category. During the contest, an entrant shall use only one (1) tribander
>> for 10, 15, 20 meters and single-element antennas on 40, 80, and 160"
>>
>> I think this is an excellent set of rules, as it clearly defines the
>> category without limiting its configuration.
>
>That is pretty conditional. Is the 4 el 3 band quad with the band switching
>near the boom would pass for a tribander? Is 4 wl per leg rhombic would
>count as a single element.

The quad probably wouldn't qualify, since there's more than one feedline.
I would suppose the "single feedline" requirement is to prevent someone
from putting up an interlaced monobander and calling it a tribander.

And, yes, a Rhombic or a V beam are both single element antennas.

>> category you've defined. Also, there's a huge difference between, say, a
>> Butternut HF5B and a KT34XA, yet both are classified as tribanders.
>
>Or A3S versus the stack of four X9?

Four X9s in a stack would not meet the requirements of the TS category --
it clearly says one tribander. Even Four X9s not as a stack doesn't meet
the requirements. Whereas a single X9 would.

>It would be interesting to get a clear defenition of WHAT IS A TRIBANDER?

Good point. There are a lot of different antenna configurations we could
label a "tribander" or having tribander-like performance.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr@radio.org
Quote: "Boot, you transistorized tormentor! Boot!"
            -- Archibald Asparagus, VeggieTales