[CQ-Contest] VY1JA Tech Help Request.

Subject: [CQ-Contest] VY1JA Tech Help Request.
From: j.allen@yec.yk.ca (J.Allen)
Date: Wed May 31 11:20:22 2000
Clear DayTo All,

Antenna fixing season is here.  At VY1JA, the tower will come down and be
moved.  During the process, the 5 antenna switching relays at the top of the
tower need to be replaced.   These relays allow me to use one feedline and
have several  antennas on the tower.

The existing relays did not work as expected.  They have a tendency to work
well on high power but to act as a poor connection to low current signals.
This is a common problem in industrial applications and gold plated contacts
normally fix this.  The relays used have gold plated contacts but were
unsuitable for some other reason which I will discover when the tower comes
down.

Does anyone have SOLID technical background in specifying relays for antenna
service and an understanding of the effects of our low temperatures, high
winds, and icing?

I must make sure that the next set of relays I put in will last more than a
few months and that they will not fail during the cold contest season.  As
it is, I have to make sure that the AR-22 rotator under the tribander is
aiming right so that when it freezes up I can still work SS.

Next winter, I MUST be able to switch to the low bands.  I am thankful that
the tribander's relay has continued to work well.

All I am looking for is technical information.. What relays are right and
where do I get them?

J., VY1JA