[CQ-Contest] Robot Op Challenge

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Robot Op Challenge
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Thu Jun 1 06:36:03 2000
At 11:52 AM 5/31/00 -0700, Richard J. Norton wrote:
>"Taken over" likely refers to overpopulating the bands, not winning
>the contests.
>
>The reason that robots have not been released is that, with our
>limited spectrum available, it has been felt to be bad policy to allow
>a frequency/channel to be usurped by an unattended machine.
>
>Do you think that 100 CQing robots would impact 40 meter DX contesting
>positively ?
>
>Do you think  "single operators" each "managing" 6 robots calling CQ
>on 6 bands in a computer interleaved pattern would impact contesting
>positively?

Hi Dick -- No, of course not.  What I wanted to shed some light on is
whether technology is to the point where rules need to be written to
prevent it.

Over the last few years, there have been several discussions on this
reflector about defining the human essence of contesting and how you might
write a rule to preserve it. It's always seemed to me, though, that the
discussion lacked urgency because the threat wasn't observably "real."  My
thought was to see whether anyone would come forward and say "yeah, I can
do that." IF that was to happen, the discussion would then gain a lot more
urgency.

73, Pete Smith N4ZR
n4zr@contesting.com