[CQ-Contest] Robot Op Challenge

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Robot Op Challenge
From: al_lorona@agilent.com (al_lorona@agilent.com)
Date: Fri Jun 2 12:48:07 2000

Hi, Cormac,

Deep Blue had such a glaring advantage over Kasparov that I've always been
amazed that no one brings it up.

Before the famous chess match, programmers entered every documented game
that Kasparov had ever played into the computer's storage. The computer then
had the luxury of analyzing Kasparov's style, biases, and behavior in a
multitude of chess situations. Kasparov, of course, had no such insight into
the computer's tendencies. One must ask himself: What would have been the
outcome had Kasparov been privy to a 30-year history of Deep Blue's chess
skill?

Nonetheless, why are we finding robot operation so implausible?  Robots are
already communicating and exchanging information in much more difficult
conditions than the 20-meter band during the SS. Read about cross-country
meteor-scatter communications someday or, heck, the "robot" operation that
it will take to deliver this e-mail message from me to you for two examples
of complex automation. The protocols we have set up in amateur radio
contests are rudimentary and don't deviate very much: nearly ideal
conditions for robots to flourish.

As has already been pointed out here, the real question is not "How?" or
"When?", but "Why?"  Ham radio contesting by robots will not supplant
operation by humans on a wide scale because of the added layer of
abstraction --we by and large aren't homebrewers any more--, making it
probably intolerable for the avid contester. For the progammer? Maybe the
point would be precisely to turn the experience of contesting into an
experience of creating machines that behave in remarkably pseudo-human ways
and then sitting back and watching, only to tweak the algorithm a smidgen in
time for the next contest.

R,

Al W6LX