[CQ-Contest] Cut Numbers

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Cut Numbers
From: g4buo@compuserve.com (Dave Lawley)
Date: Tue Jun 6 19:07:33 2000
Here's another little operating quirk that I don't like at all, for similar
reasons that some object to cut numbers. In the last two weekend's contests
where serial numbers are exchanged, a lot of people 'cut' - in fact omitted
altogether - the leading zero when sending serial numbers up to 99. For
example, instead of sending 5NNT23 or 5NN023, they sent 5NN23.

This is ok if you are a good signal but if there is QSB or QRM, the
positional
information is lost. Was that serial number two thirty-something? Some
operators (especially in field day it seems) send the exchange twice but
run
the two together so I copy the 'serial' as 235 and then have to adjust
mentally
when the guy sends NN23 on the end. The time saved by omitting the T is
minimal, and would be wiped out many times over by having to give a repeat.

I have noticed that US ops seem to do this a lot. I suspect this is
partially
because CT drops the leading zeroes. I don't have a problem with this in
the sprint, but in straightforward RST+serial number contests I would
rather
you send all three digits of the exchange. Am I alone in this?

Dave, G4BUO