[CQ-Contest] Homebrew boom mic question

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Homebrew boom mic question
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Mon Jan 22 21:29:52 2001
At 12:43 PM 1/22/01 -0500, Ted Boerkamp wrote:

 >Hello All.....
 >                  I am in the process of modifying a pair of  Sony stereo
 >headphones to add the boom mic
 >portion of a Heil BM-10 (hope this is right...model with the old foam
 >earpads)...I find the headphones
 >dont keep out enough background noise (especially in multi-op contesting)
 >and the price of the Heil
 >Proset is out of my price range....so my question is, has anyone tried to do
 >the same thing and how
 >did you fasten the boom mic to the headphone plastic earpiece housing?? I
 >wish to use the clip from
 >the old BM-10 if possible to allow swivel and rotation of the arm. Any help
 >would be appreciated.

Hi Ted -- I have done this on 2 pair of Radio Shack phones.  The trick is
to get hold of a captive nut of some sort that has the right thread for a
bolt that goes through the pivot assembly on the Heil headphone.  I found
some in the miscellaneous special fasteners collection at the local
hardware store - - they are roughly a "T" in profile and have a wide top
flange.  I was able to epoxy this into the headphone shell and then thread
the Heil pieces into it.

73, Pete N4ZR
Contesting is!

The World Contest Station Database