[CQ-Contest] Clicks

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Clicks
From: hwardsil@WOLFENET.com (Ward Silver)
Date: Thu Mar 8 15:58:06 2001
The customary way of specifying spectral cleanliness is to create a
"profile" of level vs. frequency.  For an example, refer to the FCC
specifications for EMI type-acceptance.

The standard for spurious products used for ham equipment type acceptance
is something like "all IMD products must be -40 dB with respect to the
signal at 20 kHz from the signal frequency." (I'm grossly
oversimplifying...)  What we are looking for in this case is a similar
statement - "All transient products may have a peak amplitude no greater
than -x dB with respect to a CW signal's peak amplitude over a bandwidth
of +/-y kHz centered on the CW signal."

So, there is a standard, but it is focused on non-linearities generating
IMD products in the transmitter output.  It is not written with respect to
transient spurs generated by keying edges.  Since there is no standard,
there are no measurements taken.

73, Ward N0AX