[CQ-Contest] The Value of Contesting in Everyday Life

Subject: [CQ-Contest] The Value of Contesting in Everyday Life
From: TOMK5RC@aol.com (TOMK5RC@aol.com)
Date: Fri Mar 9 11:17:04 2001

Since we are waxing philosophic, it is my observation that most contesters are
  also very competitive in their business lives. They are often at the
leading edge
  of technology (a la AA6TT and others). They are usually overachievers in
  everything they do. They also seek out other contesters as candidates for
  business ventures (W4AN, for example).

In 1976, K5MA, K7BV, K5KG, me and a few others started Houston Ham
  Conventions. It was a nonprofit group that ran conventions until the 1983
ARRL National. We learned more about leadership skills from that effort
than we ever learned in business. I have been involved with folks like
K7BV, W6OAT, W4AN and N5FW in business consulting assignments.
  W6OAT has been a proof reader for two of my books. K5KG and I have
been business partners for the last 3 years and we have K5AF (ex KB8N)
and N2IFF in our consulting group. Our business has a Club Call, K7ISO
(we do ISO 9000 consulting). K5KG and K5AF were J75KG during the
CQ WW CW last year.

I would say that contesting has had a significant impact on my everyday
life and on my personal life (K5LZO was best man at my wedding). We
  are a community of natural leaders and we seek out each other for
symbiotic relationships.

Tom, K5RC
aka NV7A