[CQ-Contest] Casual contesters...

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Casual contesters...
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Sun Mar 11 15:06:55 2001
I thought people might find the following weird factoid interesting.

I send QSLs for every unique DX QSO -- that is, for a given station, every
band-mode combination.  Since moving to my present QTH in December 1994,
I've had roughly 40,000 QSOs, of which at least 38,000 have been in
contests.  I was current on QSLing as of February 8 of this year, when I
sent some 3000 cards to the outgoing bureau.

I've been hoping that my annual box to the bureau would begin to taper off
somewhat, so after this year's ARRL DX CW I checked to see how many QSL
requirements that contest alone would generate.  To my surprise, out of
2899 valid QSOs, 1498 met my QSLing criteria!  Put another way, over half
my QSOs were with stations that I had never worked on that band and mode
before.

By contrast, in last years CQWWCW, out of 2667 QSOs, only 956 met the
uniqueness criteria.

Does this mean that the ARRL DX contest attracts more casual DX
participants, perhaps because of WAS? Or????

73, Pete N4ZR
Contesting is!

The World Contest Station Database
is waiting for your input at