[CQ-Contest] Bill, what did IS mean?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Bill, what did IS mean?
From: ktaylor@mb.sympatico.ca (ktaylor@mb.sympatico.ca)
Date: Fri Mar 30 16:40:00 2001
5.0; Mac_PowerPC)]
Sender: owner-cq-contest@contesting.com

Scott is right.

Many contests, ARRL and CQ contests among them, have some
variant on the prohibition of operators using any call signs but
the main operating call sign during the contest.

In other words, you can't use another call sign to "hold" a
frequency, or to solicit spot or to scratch your balls, for that
matter. To read the rule to the extreme, it's possible to argue
that you can't even use your own call sign outside the relevant
bands for purposes not related to the contest. I think THAT's
extreme, but I think if the infractions laid out by W4PA are
true, then it does constitute breaking the rules.

Even if self-spotting isn't forbidden, other rules are broken by
using other call signs to self-spot.

Kelly
ve4xt