[CQ-Contest] SO2R radio positioning

Subject: [CQ-Contest] SO2R radio positioning
From: clive_whelan@btinternet.com (Clive Whelan)
Date: Mon Jun 25 21:21:58 2001
Hi Pete

> Did you
> consider what I'm thinking about........ [ i.e. stacked transceivers]

Not for a minute! Main problem would be that the "top level"
radio would be very difficult to tune manually. OK, so you can
tune from the keyboard, but there are times when you will
definitely want to use the dial, and my wrist has no finesse
unless my elbow is supported.

I use transceivers left and right, with the monitor in the
middle straight ahead at eye level, like the transceivers'
display. Ancillaries such as ant. switches, ATUs, and also the
amplifier are at the next level up. The keyboard and paddle are
directly in front of the monitor , but about 75mm ( ca 3
ins)lower on a custom shelf of an office computer desk. The
computer is on the floor in the knee well.

All this, plus operator, some shelving and two dogs(!) fit in an
8x6 ft shack, crowded, but needs very little heat in the winter!

Good luck

73

Clive

GW3NJW