[CQ-Contest] Eye Strain

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Eye Strain
From: aa4lr@arrl.net (Bill Coleman)
Date: Fri Jun 29 18:07:04 2001
On 6/29/01 8:20 AM, Jay Pryor at jpryor@arches.uga.edu wrote:

>The discussion about bifocals/trifocals has been interesting because I am
>in that group, but I am curious about what other contesters do regarding
>lighting in the shack.  Are bright lights easier on the eyes over the long
>haul, or dim room lights so that most light comes from the radio(s)?  Is
>this one of those things that varies from one person to another?

Jay,

For many years now, I've had two lights in the shack. The shack has room
lighting. In the old QTH, this was two sets of 4-way incandescent bulbs.
Initially, it was VERY bright for such a small room (5' x 14'). I
gradually lowered the wattage of the replacement bulbs to something more
reasonable.

At the present QTH, the shack is a bit bigger (6' x 18'), and I have
three dual 20W florescent fixtures. Not quite enough light, IMHO.

In addition to the room lighting, I have a 40 watt high-intensity light
that I've had for years and years. It lights the operating desk and the
equipment.

Sometimes, especially late at night, I'll turn off the room lights and
operate solely by the high-intensity. I find that more comfortable and
less eye-straining.

I find that varying the amount of lighting helps to keep one alert with
less strain.

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901