[CQ-Contest] Eye Strain

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Eye Strain
From: k1ttt@berkshire.net (David Robbins)
Date: Fri Jun 29 14:48:16 2001
for the bi/trifocal problem you may want to get a separate pair of glasses.  my
insurance covers a separate pair of 'vdt' glasses that are a single vision kind
of mid range perscription for working on computers for long periods.  this
prevents the neck strain and annoyance of the line.

i have tried several lighting arrangements here and have pretty much settled on
a 65w small flood lamp about 4' above each station of the m/m setup.  mine are
on tracks so you can move them to avoid glare.  this is bright enough to keep
things well lit for those who need to read knobs or keyboards and scratchpads,
it also keeps the room bright enough so you don't get sleepy from sitting in the
dark.  but its not so bright that it causes lots of glare on the computer
screens.  using the flood lamp keeps most of the light on the operating table so
you aren't wasting lots of light on the ceiling or other tables.  using track
lights with swivel fixtures gives you lots of flexibility to adjust and
add/remove lights as you need.

Jay Pryor wrote:

> The discussion about bifocals/trifocals has been interesting because I am
> in that group, but I am curious about what other contesters do regarding
> lighting in the shack.  Are bright lights easier on the eyes over the long
> haul, or dim room lights so that most light comes from the radio(s)?  Is
> this one of those things that varies from one person to another?
>
> 73,
>
> - Jay/K4OGG
>
> --
> CQ-Contest on WWW:        http://lists.contesting.com/_cq-contest/

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto://k1ttt@berkshire.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net
AR-Cluster node: 145.69MHz or telnet://k1ttt.net