[CQ-Contest] ROTTEN OPERATING

Subject: [CQ-Contest] ROTTEN OPERATING
From: kc5ajx@hotmail.com (Rick Bullon)
Date: Fri Jan 4 01:13:58 2002
Ok I have been following this thread and it looks like the only ones posting
are experienced CW contesters, so let me give you a look from the other
side, from a SSB contester whose CW speed is far below 20+ wpm.
First I know that rate is king and I understand why you would prefer to run
at 30 or 40 + wpm at the first of the contest. I keep reading in post after
post that working a station at less than 20 wpm is a waste of time, but then
in the next line or paragraph I read that you want to get new blood into the
CW contests.
If you are not going to work a station because he is sending too slow you
will get very little new blood unless they are already profecent in CW and
can run at > 20wpm.
Now I don't want to start the slow code debate or the code no code debate
but new hams only have to copy 5 wpm and if they want to increase their
speed they (or should I say we) hit a wall at about 10 to 12 wpm. Now we can
maybe handle 15 wpm for a short time but trying to copy at almost twice the
speed is almost impossible and if you guys insist on ignoring slow code
stations then there will not be many coming into CW contest, they will work
phone contests to get the contesting thrill.
I would guess to see how many of the guys who say that <20 wpm is a waste
really mean  it is to wait till Sunday afternoon in a contest like SS and
start calling CQ at 10wpm see how many will QRS down to the slower speed.
What I am trying to say is look at what is being posted as far as acceptable
CW speed in a contest then look at it from the side of the slow speed guys
and see if it looks like they would be welcome. So far it looks like the
altitude is when you can copy 20+ wpm come join us, until then don't waste
our time.
I would love to be able to get into a cw contest then there would be more
contests for me to enter, but as long as it is 20+ wpm to participate I will
stick to SSB.
Ok now that I have gotten your blood pressure way up I can already figure
out the flames I will get :-0
73
Rick
KC5AJX