[CQ-Contest] Receiver Gain (Was TOP BAND RECEIVING ANTENNAS)

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Receiver Gain (Was TOP BAND RECEIVING ANTENNAS)
From: artinian@siol.net (Marijan Miletic, S56A)
Date: Tue Jan 8 23:02:08 2002
The latest ARRL test of ICOM 756 PRO II shows reasonable HF RX sensitivity
figures.
Also notice significant PLL noise reduction.  IMD3 leaves about 10 dB room
for improvement.
Most of the previous tests showed oversensitive RX intended for inefficient
antennas.
AGC action must be delayed on weak signals in order to preserve signal to
noise ratio.
Preamp might help during 10/15 m band openings with only weak signals
present.
NEVER increase audio gain as there are too many hams with impaired
hearing...
Contest later becomes the game of picking the weak ones among many strong
signals.
EU is the nice place to learn the game with all the BCI...

73 de Mario, S56A, N1YU

P.S.  There was no need to correct my statement that antenna with more gain
picks more noise!