[CQ-Contest] RE: Topband: Dedicated topband transceiver

Subject: [CQ-Contest] RE: Topband: Dedicated topband transceiver
From: earlham@radiks.net (Iowaguy)
Date: Sun Jan 13 16:30:36 2002
Key clicks are probably the single worst problem we have with new radios.
Having just completed operating the NAQP contest, I can safely say that the
problem is worse than ever.   Fifteen or 20 years ago you could run a
contest (when things really get crowded) and rarely run into this problem.
I'm surprised that there is not more pressure on the manufacturers to clean
up their act.  This is not a difficult problem to solve.

73...Dave
W0FLS

I'm especially disappointed the newer radios that will slowly replace
the current radios have the same or even worse key-click issues as
older radios. It is a shame little pressure is being applied to have
manufacturers correct design or performance issues like key
clicks. With properly filtered CW, there is NO reason to hear a
click more than a few hundred Hz away.

I hope the major manufacturers wake up soon. It might be a good
idea to remind them at every opportunity we actually want
transmitters without clicks that have good close-spaced
performance.
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com